If you are into professional video editing, then you regularly create content for social media. As you know, this is a very challenging line of work, but if you commit and you have the skills, you can succeed. Right now, you have many things in your favor. For starters, the tech is pretty advanced! There super smartphones and reasonably priced DSLR cameras. Furthermore, there are millions of online tutorials to help you improve your technical skills.
In this article, I will share with you some easy tips to shoot great holiday footage! Later, after some professional video editing (which you will want to do using video editing and animation software like hitfilm – click here for hitfilm free download link), you will get a superb holiday video for your website. Let’s get started!
Tips for getting top quality material for your video
With just a few basic tips, you can completely improve the quality of your footage. Here’s what you’ll need:
- A good camera: Even though you can shoot compelling footage with just a smartphone, if you can get a DSLR camera, do it! It will be a good investment. If you have one but you don’t know how to use it, just get down to it! There a lot of materials online to learn a bit more about composition and choosing the right equipment for your shoot.
- Create a Shot list: It is important that before you shoot, you have a checklist of every element you want. By doing this, you won’t be missing any key footage later when you start your professional video edit.
- Choose a nice background: Make sure that you pick a background that won’t distract from the focus of your shot. If you don’t have a background that fits this profile, well you can create your own.
- FPS & Frame Rate: Define Your Video’s Speed Limit: FPS is quite essential when shooting top quality footage. Normal cameras and smartphones can shoot 23 or 24 FPS which results in average footage. However, a professional camera lets you shoot in whatever format you want. The one you are looking for is 60fps. By doubling your frame rate, you will notice how your video is smoother, more professional, and easier to watch.
- Keep your clips short: Aim for video clips that are about 5-10 seconds long. Even though you get rid of what you don’t want during a professional video editing, there is no need to overstep. Plus, it is good practice to capture exactly what you need.
- Stabilize your video: Steady videos are easier for your audience to watch. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to stabilize your shot. The easiest way is to get a tripod to set up your camera. But if you don’t want to invest in a tripod as yet, you can just plunk down your camera on a flat surface.
- Leave space for text: Since you want to use your video for your website, you are going do some marketing as well! So, if you want to share your message with your audience, you may need to include some text in your video. That is why it’s important to leave room for what you want to write. Just make sure that you leave space above, below, or to the side in video clips. During a professional video editing, you can include your message without covering up your image in the process.
- Respect your website’s format: You need to know which format is accepted by your website. There are three types: the first one is landscape, if you’re making a video for YouTube, Facebook or a website; the second one is square, if you’re optimizing for mobile, Facebook, or Instagram; the third and final one is vertical, if you are creating an Instagram Story.
- Music is extremely important: Music is an essential part of your video. As a profession video editor, you need to properly select a good track to go along your footage. Choosing a killer song may just be the cornerstone of the professional video editing process. Since there so many songs out there, picking the one can be a headache. With a song you can express anything, which is why you need to take your time.
Take these tips into account when creating your next holiday video. I’m sure you will do just fine! If your life’s dream is professional video editing, make the most out of it.